No hea koe - Where I'm from

I've been reflecting on where I come from and who were the important ancestors to my whanau. I have noted something of interest to me below. I endeavour to find out more about our stories by asking my whanau. 

One of the main waka my whanau came over on was Mahuhu-ki-te-rangi. Landing in the kaipara harbour and other parts of the north island including Whangaroa, Tākou and Whangaruru. They continued south before returning to Pārengarenga and sailing down the west coast. There are two stories around the waka. One is that it stops and Whakatau's son marries a local, the other story is that it landed and the small island named Tāporapora (no longer an island) under the command of Rongomai and the canoe was overturned after visiting the island. The story says that Rongomai was eaten by araara or trevally fish. Because of this our people did not eat trevally until Christianity was embraced.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reviewing, editing and celebrating writing.

Letting the learner lead

Clarity in the classroom