Bruce in classes Wednesday
Practice independent work ideas-
Instructional group-
Warm up- 5 and problems. Then some oddballs. Children got confused so she got them to show her 4 on their fingers and 2 more. Then they could solve it.
Using money- I have 2 tens and 3 ones. Write down my number. Used abacus to show 2 tens and 3 ones.
I have $23 and Mr Moody said I could have $20 more. Reinforced the ones didn't change.
$10 more, how much did I have there? How much now?
Okay I have $63 and I give Whaea Kat $30 What will I have now?
If I have 6 and take three away, what will it be? I had $60 and I give $30 away, how much do I have left?
Next step- change the ones in there to check they can change the ones and are looking at the numbers. Get them fluent in the bonds to ten. Spend more time on bonds. If they have that secure they can use them as addition but not as reversals.
$63+$30=
Second group-
Using biscuit factory story- I work in the biscuit factory and I get paid per biscuit.
Tens frame- with 8 showing
I put my hand in the oven and make 5 biscuits. I fill up the 8 with 2, how many will I have left over?
8+2, +3 =15,
28 + 5 = 33
48 + 5 = 53 . modelled less
Pulled out 5 packets (of ten) I've got 5 in my hand, Fill up the packet with 2 and how many do I have left? 3, so it's 63
Show the pattern. I think I can write the next one down and you can write it on your board. Don't copy the question, write what you think it'll be.
Moved on to 100's. I have 138+5= . Students to write their answer on their board.
Warm up- 5 and problems. Then some oddballs. Children got confused so she got them to show her 4 on their fingers and 2 more. Then they could solve it.
Using money- I have 2 tens and 3 ones. Write down my number. Used abacus to show 2 tens and 3 ones.
I have $23 and Mr Moody said I could have $20 more. Reinforced the ones didn't change.
$10 more, how much did I have there? How much now?
Okay I have $63 and I give Whaea Kat $30 What will I have now?
If I have 6 and take three away, what will it be? I had $60 and I give $30 away, how much do I have left?
Next step- change the ones in there to check they can change the ones and are looking at the numbers. Get them fluent in the bonds to ten. Spend more time on bonds. If they have that secure they can use them as addition but not as reversals.
$63+$30=
Second group-
Using biscuit factory story- I work in the biscuit factory and I get paid per biscuit.
Tens frame- with 8 showing
I put my hand in the oven and make 5 biscuits. I fill up the 8 with 2, how many will I have left over?
8+2, +3 =15,
28 + 5 = 33
48 + 5 = 53 . modelled less
Pulled out 5 packets (of ten) I've got 5 in my hand, Fill up the packet with 2 and how many do I have left? 3, so it's 63
Show the pattern. I think I can write the next one down and you can write it on your board. Don't copy the question, write what you think it'll be.
Moved on to 100's. I have 138+5= . Students to write their answer on their board.
Then changed the one to 7. I put my hand in the oven and I could hold 7 out of the oven with one go. How many will I put down to fill the packet up? And how many left over? So I had 8 how many did I need to put down? 2? That's right. So if there's 10 down there and 5 in my hand how many do I have altogether? What number do we call ten and 5? 15
8+7= 15
Now I have 38 and 7= How many biscuits go down, how many in my hand? How many altogether?
38, make it 40 and 5= 45. What goes with 8? 2 yes they are really good friends, they are always together. Noticing the pattern. Repeat and keep modeling the process but allowing the ones who are responding by pattern can still respond.
Using equipment but weaning them off the equipment- support the thinking not be the thinking. Eg Notes stacked so they can't see them to count.
Comments
Post a Comment