Bruce in classes Tuesday


Class 1
Independent practice activities in a year 2 class.
Group 1

Warm up- Show me 12, 15, 20, 17 etc

I have $10 in this pocket and $7 in this pocket. How much money do I have altogether?

I'm going shopping and I have got $5 but I want 15 how much more do I need?
I've got $1 but I need $10 how much more do I need.
I've got $10 but I need $16. Let's make it. 10 and 6 is 16. Make it for me. I've got the ten and six, I've got $16 so now I can go and buy some pizza. Ask questions left, right, forward and back.

Send away to make some numbers.

Ready to move on. Ten and is secure, then you can look at 20 and, 30 and, etc.
1 minutes practice then extend the group. Always keep reviewing then move on.

Group 2- Teams of ten
Review old teams of ten chart. If I have 4 fingers sticking out how many are down? Use the chart. Cover the number how many to get to ten. Played card game to 10. Put down a card, what goes with 7? answer 3, correct child gets the card. Played for a while then could see they associated these with pairs. They are ready for stories. Another version of the game is - when they have three cards they become the dealer.

You can remember or make your hands sticking out.
I had $7 but I needed $10 to buy my lunch. What goes with 7? 3
I have got $3 but I need to make 10. Make 3 with your fingers, how many folding down? So 3 goes with 7, what did 3 go with? What did 7 go with?
I've got $2 and I needed $10 what do I need? Did this fast on a piece of paper.
Practice it and speed them on.


Class 2
Group 1
No need to reinforce how many tens.
Changing ones
Quick warm up
Look at an addition problem. Go to a basic fact to ten that they know.
35 and 4 what joins together? The 5 and 4 is? Don't count, you already know it. 5 and 4 is 9 so it must be 39. Children see 5 and 4 so therefore it must be 9.
74 and 4= yes you can see 4 and 4 is 8 so it is 78
Look for the basic fact we know. Do this with addition and subtraction.
I have 53 and 20- don't need to physically put it down.

Group 2
I've got $72- tell me how many ten dollar notes I've got?
I've got $72 and I'm spending $50 at ....shop. So how many ten dollar notes do I have? And how many $1 notes have I got? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reviewing, editing and celebrating writing.

Letting the learner lead

Clarity in the classroom