A tour of Hamilton
We had a tour of Hamilton with Robyn's cousin Wiremu. He is very knowledgable about the history of Hamilton. I found him easy to listen to but that meant I didn't take a lot of notes much to my regret!
We started our bus trip from school and headed to the Hamilton Gardens. He told us that Korehako- introduced peach trees which was then named Peach Grove Street.
He said when you know place names in Māori you are able to work out the story behind the name. Although there has been some place names in Hamilton that have moved from their original place like Wairere Drive.
This is a commemoration to locals who were here first cultivating the banks of the Waikato. Probably ancient Polynesians.
We continued the journey on the bus stopping at places of relevance. Kirikiriroa and Miropiko Pa sites were of particular interest.
I have taken students to Miropiko each year after the last time we went there with Wiremu. He told some more stories about the arrival of the Pou and some which I had heard before but it was good to listen and think about what I would do with the children when I take them next term. I hadn't realised you can get to the river from the pa site but I don't think it is safe to take the children down there.
Kirikiriroa was of interest as you could see a lot from it and it was such a serene area in the middle of town that I hadn't known about. I would love to take my class there.
We finished the day with a PL session at the Museum finding out about what educational plans and resources they have to offer. The take homes from the museum for me were the Koru art, newspaper print, history of Hamilton and the family exhibition where people could make themselves with paper and fabric scraps.
Overall it was a worthwhile day with a lot of learning. I look forward to passing on my knowledge and experiences to my students.
Comments
Post a Comment