Grant Lichtman - Keynote Ulearn 15
The things that struck a chord with me while I listened to Grant Lichtman talk was that students don't need basic knowledge. If they are taught skills like our NZC Principles and the Key Competencies they can find out all they need to fill their knowledge.
Grant went on a 12 week tour of the USA asking teachers:
Show me what you're excited about?
What does innovation mean to you?
Tell me about the obstacles?
Tell me about successes...
He was asking the students:
What do you think about when you come to this place?
End of the day- one word to describe their day?
These questions are food for thought for me and I have been thinking about asking my learners the student questions. It made me think about whether my current class have much input into creating their learning environment and learning programme.
These questions are food for thought for me and I have been thinking about asking my learners the student questions. It made me think about whether my current class have much input into creating their learning environment and learning programme.
Grant went on to say we lead from where we are. Moving from the the idea of a teacher as a guide on the side to a teacher as farmer. We create a fence and some boundary. We then prepare conditions for growth and make sure the nutrients are there to support growth.
Overall I thought his keynote was thought provoking and stuck a few cords. I like the table Sheryl posted to demonstrate in regards to Grant's Stairway of Successful Innovation.
Overall I thought his keynote was thought provoking and stuck a few cords. I like the table Sheryl posted to demonstrate in regards to Grant's Stairway of Successful Innovation.
Comments
Post a Comment