Agency and ownership: Why then how? Steve Mouldey Breakout Ulearn15

I began this breakout part way through as the breakout I choose I feel was aimed more at leadership. I was looking for designing the learning environment and she spoke about a very broad 'learning environment.'
So I went to see Steve Mouldey as he was asking, 'What's the silliest question you could ask?' 

Inquiry learning design model

Moving from Teacher Controlled to Student Choice. Teacher choosing the topic, children choose what part of it. Eg topic is desert- can choose which desert. Choice of how they present and the teacher can challenge why they make the choices. Move beyond choices to student voice. 
Teachers come up with the ideas, sit with students to come up with their ideas and offer the learning then. 


What do you most need to teach- core. Enables you to sit down and co design with the students. Build trust with students. Trust builds by following through with their ideas. Key aspect to be able to sit down with students and break it down onto a post it. Then you have the core stuff and you can say 'Cool, how can we do this?' Might not fit but you can mould it together. 

He talked about asking students what do you want to be now not what do you want to be when you grow up? 

Rose, bud, thorn- @Learn21tech
Rose- positive things
Bud- what has potential here? Did you think about this? 
Thorn- should be removed, stop it from working
Write on post its - colour coordinate the colors

My next step to increase learner agency is to ask them what they think 'growing' means to them? Let's see what we can learn next term under the umbrella of growing.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reviewing, editing and celebrating writing.

Letting the learner lead

Clarity in the classroom