Levelling the kids
Discussion with Cathy re levelling my readers.
We talked about the fact that two of my learners are Level 13/14 plus and I need an accurate reading level for them. They are between 6 months at school and not at 1 year yet.
We talked about giving them more decoding and comprehension strategies to help and to use books across the level so they are introduced to a variety of texts.
With Cathy's help we choose some appropriate chapter books from the library to encourage their passion for reading. We choose some topic based readers. When I introduced the readers to the new texts I showed them how to choose a "fit" book using the five fingers rule. I got them to practice it with me to make sure they could read the book.
Conversations on the go are helping me develop a greater understanding of my readers and their readiness to move levels with my running record data.
We talked about the fact that two of my learners are Level 13/14 plus and I need an accurate reading level for them. They are between 6 months at school and not at 1 year yet.
We talked about giving them more decoding and comprehension strategies to help and to use books across the level so they are introduced to a variety of texts.
With Cathy's help we choose some appropriate chapter books from the library to encourage their passion for reading. We choose some topic based readers. When I introduced the readers to the new texts I showed them how to choose a "fit" book using the five fingers rule. I got them to practice it with me to make sure they could read the book.
Conversations on the go are helping me develop a greater understanding of my readers and their readiness to move levels with my running record data.
Comments
Post a Comment