Making progress

I have been working with Cathy on RTC 11. I wanted to learn how best to use running record assessments to benefit my learners.

We are making progress!

I have listened to my reader's and I am nearly satisfied that they are all at the right level however there is so much progress and learning happening in my room that my reading groups will continue to move quickly.

I have implemented a few ideas from Cathy with her support and the children are learning new words every day. They arrive buzzing and excited to say their words. My class is a hive of learning and that is all before the 9 am bell!

The progress is so encouraging and I have noticed that the word reading has helped to improve their reading in ways I haven't taught yet. I was sitting with a group of writer's when one child was telling me what she was going to write- I like making soap. I told her she knew how to write I so she wrote I, then she looked at the word wall behind me and said, "Hine, I can write like. It's on the wall!" She promptly wrote like into her book. I had never referred to the words on the wall but she was looking and they are the same words that are on the writing cards. I refer to the writing cards during every writing sessions so she has begun looking around the room for words.

Tonight I talked with Cathy about how wonderful it has been seeing the parents coming to read and listen to their children. Each morning we have more and more parents reading and listening. I have children who are able to read magenta words and we are learning the red/yellow words next. This time I have decided to have two copies; one at school and one they can take home so they can practice at home too. They get stickers for the words they know and they are saying all the words each day.

The children have started finding their words in their reading books too. We have been linking the words to their books. Student L said to me, "Hine I found the word look in my book" and then she showed it to me on her reading word card too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reviewing, editing and celebrating writing.

Letting the learner lead

Clarity in the classroom