Teacher Inquiry

Teacher Inquiry
Here are some of the slides from the presentation I gave to staff on Wednesday. I shared my teacher inquiry with the staff at 
Hamilton East School.


We have been sharing stories in reading, relating the texts to ourselves. We share stories during learning experiences and in most curriculum areas. The children have responded positively to sharing stories about common experiences and it has become a part of our class culture. 



I used the app Write about this NZ. 
You can read how it came about on this blog post by Allanah King. I think it is fabulous. It allows children to use a kiwi photo (or take their own). Using the writing prompt they can record their story. I have been using it to help children figure out where to put full stops. I ask them to use the speak tool on the ipad to listen to it, then they can edit their writing. Lastly they record their own voice and save it. Tash used the app in her class yesterday. You can read about her experience here.


One thing I learned was to lessen teacher talk. I have done this by using oral language groups, allowing for quick chats between peers to share ideas and to change the oral language groups regularly.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reviewing, editing and celebrating writing.

Letting the learner lead

Clarity in the classroom